Dr. Maurits Boon
ENT – Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery – Sleep Disorders
Dr. Maurits Boon
ENT – Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery – Sleep Medicine
Dr. Boon is a double board-certified specialist in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and Sleep Medicine and practices at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.
He specializes in treatment of:
- Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Disorders
- Voice Problems
- Swallowing Disorders
- Sinus and Nasal Problems
Dr. Boon is known by patients and colleagues as a caring and skilled surgeon. His mission is to provide individualized exceptional care.
Union College, Schenectady, NY – BS Biology
State University of NY Buffalo – MD
Postgraduate Training and Fellowship Appointment:
General Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia
Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia
Certification for Sleep Medicine, Philadelphia
Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery – 2000
Sleep Medicine – 2011
Associate Professor – Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia
HOSPITAL ADMINISTRATION APPOINTMENTS
Co-Director Thomas Jefferson Voice and Swallowing Center
Director Residency Program – Dept. of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Well known for his expertise in treating sinus, nasal, voice and swallowing disorders, Dr. Boon is one of the most experienced surgeons in the world for treating Obstructive Sleep Apnea with Inspire Therapy.
AWARDS & HONORS
- 1991 Ted Webster Award: New York State Collegiate Swimming Award
- 1991 Academic All American Collegiate Swimming
- 1991 Phi Beta Kappa
- 1991 Sigma Xi – Scientific Honor Society
- 1991 Summa Cum Laude, Union College, Schenectady, NY
- 1992 James A Gibson Anatomical Honor Society
- 1994 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical School Honor Society
- 1995 Clinical Research Award, SUNY Buffalo Medical School
- 1995 Summa Cum Laude: SUNY Buffalo Medical School
- 2009 Dean’s Citation for Significant Contribution to the Advancement of Education
- 2011-17 Philadelphia Top Doc
- 2014 Dean’s Citation for Teamwork for Collaboration with the Department of Sleep Medicine
- 2014 American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation Honor Award
About Dr. Boon
Dr. Boon practices in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and is Co-Director of the Jefferson Voice and Swallowing Center. At this center, the most up-to-date evaluations of voice problems and swallowing disorders are performed. A wide range of treatment options are offered.
With his background in Otolaryngolology – Head and Neck Surgery, as well as Sleep Medicine, Dr. Boon takes an individualized approach to treating sleep disorders. He recognizes that taking care of sleep problems goes beyond just treating snoring and sleep apnea. In addition, he is one of only a small number of physicians nationally who perform upper airway stimulation also known as Inspire Therapy to treat sleep apnea.
Dr. Boon has lectured locally, nationally, and internationally on topics ranging from obstructive sleep apnea to surgical treatment of swallowing disorders. He has numerous publications and has authored book chapters on surgical treatments of sleep apnea as well as parotid gland trauma.
Maurits Boon, MD